Hannah Overman Koch

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Aztec Sun Silk Screen

One of the last projects to do in our printmaking class is one and two color silk screening!

I have not done this since high school...
With contact paper!

Now they have drawing fluid and screen filler!


I was not sure what image I wanted to do so who better to ask than my 9 year old daughter-

Her request was an Aztec Sun.

 
2 color silk screen on duck canvas.



This is my screen with the blue drawing fluid.
This is applied with a paint brush.

(Ignore the grayish image - that was from the previous user.
It will not affect my image.)

You want a thick covering, so when you cover it with
screen filler it will not go through.


This is my screen ready to print.

I allowed the drawing fluid to dry and then I applied
the screen filler (burgundy color) and covered the entire screen.

Once that has dried, I rinsed out the drawing fluid and
the screen filler stays.
The screen filler is really hard to get out of the screen.
The screen printing ink will not go through the burgundy areas.



This is my one color silk screen on duck canvas.



I have my first print ready for the second color.

I like to secure my fabric on foam covered plywood with T-pins.

My screen is covered with ink.
My small squeegee is not the proper size 
and you are to only go over the screen twice at the most.

Gotta know the rules to break them.
-Bob Rankin


Lifting the screen.
Again, don't lift on an angle. 
lift the screen straight up.

Love the detail from the second printing.



What to do next with these prints?


Banners, Small art quilts, pillows, t-shirts...




On the sewing machine doing some free-motion quilting.


I hope to make this a pillow!


Big thanks to my high school art teacher Linda Rutenkroger 
for the screen and foam covered plywood and awesome supplies 
from your classroom when you retired
and
JCC and Bill Gregory for instructions/direction and silk screen ink!



bringing all my resources together on this artist holiday,
hannah








1 comment:

  1. Great project! I want to see the pillow finished, the sewing you pictured changed the look/feel of your piece. I just did a silk screen at a childrens museum. They used speedball ink, cardstock, a frame/silk. We cut newspaper into shapes, they were the resist. The newspaper worked well, cheap and easy!We printed on cardstock, not faberic.

    ReplyDelete