Hannah Overman Koch

Friday, May 4, 2012

Cupcakes and Ladybugs

You just never know the combination you will see on this blog!  I always enjoy trying to mix it up!

What have I been up to lately?....

painting with acrylics!




I am always reading a variety of inspirational websites, books or emails and I keep seeing the same phrase over and over again.  (Which I truly believe is for me to keep reminding myself!)




The power is within




Such a powerful phrase, maybe even a mantra for me and my creative abilities.

I am always trying to gain more self-confidence in my art making ability, so I decided I wanted to put my abilities to the test...

Create 2 paintings that are representational and not abstract.  (Representational meaning when we look at the same painting, we all see the same thing and abstract meaning everyone sees something completely different.) This also coincided with 2 gifts I wanted to make for 2 of my cousins and their children.  (one on the way)  The subject matters: cupcakes for the soon to be newborn Lily and ladybugs for soon to be 3 year old Grace.

My idea was to create a pattern with them both, sort of graphic, playful and child-like.


Lily's Cupcakes

Materials used:  Acrylic paint, Paint Pen

I wanted it to look like cupcakes but not a photograph of one.


I always "wrap" the image around the edges of the canvas.  I think it adds another dimension to the painting by creating angles of the images.

I am saying through my signature "I did this and I am proud to put my name on it".  This concept took me many years to realize.  You should create your own signature as well and put it on everything you do!

I wrote the title and the TO and FROM on the back as well as one more signature and year.




My other painting is...


Ladybugs for Grace

Materials used:  Acrylic Paints



I used a large, circular plastic lid as the template for the ladybugs body.  Whereas for the cupcakes I created a foam stamp as my template and painted over it many times.


No paint pen here.  I painted several layers and then went back with black on the lid to create the outline.  I free-hand painted the ladybugs heads, legs and antennas.


I added the speckles at the very end on both paintings to create that fun and even messy child-like look.  There is glitter on both paintings as well to give it a really cool shimmer effect!

Grace's message on the back.


Thanks Renee' and Crystal for all your support!  Love you and your girls!!





So, I put my mind to it and I did it!  The power and determination was within!  (These paintings were my 2nd attempts on both by the way.)  I stuck with it and found a creative solution to each aesthetic problem I encountered.  Sure, I learned from my mistakes and will do it differently next time.  But maybe even more importantly; I made a goal and achieved it.  That always feels so good!





it's never too late to learn that the power is within yourself on this artist holiday,
hannah






2 comments:

  1. I'm in love with the cupcakes but the ladybugs sent me to the moon!!!! I think woman are going to be hounding you to make more for their girls bedrooms. I hope you have a lot of paint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The color and design are great in both. I like the Escher effect of how the shapes fit together. You definitely should sign your work.... what are you thinking. Your artistry just shines through. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete