Hannah Overman Koch

Friday, January 13, 2012

Candy Apron

My Mom's family gets together every Christmas Eve not just to celebrate the holiday and eat delicious food, prepared by my Grandmother, but to have fun and laugh together!  After the meal is complete and we've read the Christmas story we then put on performances, sing songs, anything!  Sometimes we have props to photograph those hilarious moments.  One year we had wild colored wigs, another year crooked teeth, and last year we created ornaments that marked a funny family story.  A few years ago, I wrote a poem titled 3 Aunts and 1 Uncle.  This poem was about the funny things myself and my cousins remembered growing up with our Aunts and Uncle.  They loved it!  So, this year, my Aunt wanted us to make aprons.  It could be purchased and decorated, created out of unique materials, whatever you wanted.  After 2 other attempts, I finally came up with this....



Candy Apron

Materials included;  plastic candy bags, black duct tape, paper backing, thread


I chose candy bags for a reason.  My family is known for a serious affection for anything sweet!  I knew they all would enjoy seeing the collage of various sweets.




I cut the bags completely open and proceeded to cut them all into strips.
After I wove them together, I then sewed the Smarties banner in the lower center.



I traced the actual Smarties with the thread for a nice touch!

Next I used black duck tape as the binding to hold the weaving to the paper backing.  I also used the duck tape as the ties to wrap it around the body.




Everyone did fantastic on their aprons.  This was a challenging task for sure!  We had an aprons with hand tracings, cookie cutter tracings, family names, and remembering fond sayings and times past.  What will we do next year?.....  









sharing a bit of family traditions on this artist holiday,
hannah


2 comments:

  1. what a good idea you "smatie" you! Your family sounds like fun...any opening for a new member?

    such a cool apron!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic!!! What a great idea. I will have to remember this for some of my recycled stash and see what I can come up with. xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete